Thursday, May 31, 2012

Throwback Thursday: The Chuppah Creation

A couple years back my oldest friend Bethami married her now husband Lenny and I made their chuppah, which I was both very honored and terrified to do.  I took a bunch of photos of the process and realized that I never showed them to anyone, so here goes...

Bethami and Lenny wanted a white chuppah because the temple is very colorful.  We did research and sent lots of emails and came up with the idea of a bed of silk chiffon leaves edged in gold.  The hope was that the entire top would be made of these leaves, but to be honest I bit off a little more than I could chew, so it ended of up being a boarder of leaves around white chiffon.


I started by drawing 5 different leaves and making templates of them.  Then I traced them lightly with a pencil onto the chiffon.  Because the chiffon would buckle in the sewing machine, I stitched the gold edging onto the chiffon with a piece of paper underneath it to keep it flat (if you're wondering, I used old Law & Order scripts).  The leaves were then cut out and the paper removed.  As the photo above shows, I needed lots of Diet Coke and Tootsie Roll pops (as well as help from a few friends who I begged to come over one afternoon) to get it done.


Once I hoped I had enough leaves (It wasn't till the night before I had to fly to the wedding that I realized that I could not do the whole thing in leaves - I held out hope this long...) I laid out the chiffon on my floor (which was just large enough) and lay out three rows of leaves, just overlapping slightly at the corners and stitched them together there.  Cash, of course, helped a lot.


Once the wedding day came, we only had a very short amount of time to get all set up before the ceremony. Thankfully, Lenny had some very awesome groomsmen, without their help there would have been no way it would have been up and actually looking good.  I owe them forever.  Rachel (Bethami's sister) and I basically stood there and directed them.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  Bethami and Lenny seemed to be as well, and let's be honest, theirs are the only opinions who really matter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment