Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Setbacks, New Goals

Well, folks, after trying to teach myself some new stuff, I have some bad news: I may not be very good at quilting- yet.  I decided to give finishing full, detailed quilts a little bit of a rest and try things on a smaller scale, so I'm making (drum roll please)... pot holders.  I figure that this is a good, practical way to teach myself how to finish quilts without the pressure of having spent hours upon hours on it already.  This way, if I mess up, it's not such a big deal.

The first pot holder I attempted to make today was also my first attempt at a pinwheel.  As the picture shows, it did not go well.

What I learned: think before you cut; think before you sew.  And, if you don't know how to do something, maybe look up how to do it instead of just diving in and thinking it'll be a snap.

The second attempt actually worked, even if there are some imperfections.  I have some Alexander Henry baseball fabric left over from a blanket I made for Project Linus.  This was my first time doing actual binding on a quilt, including a mitered corner!  So, even though it's not perfect, I think it's a good step forward.
front

back

Anybody want a pot holder?

0 comments:

Post a Comment