Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Sewing Space

I've noticed a trend lately on the quilting blogs that I read- most of them seem to be redoing their sewing rooms and posting photos of how beautiful and wonderful their new sewing spaces are (here are some examples that make me want to move to the country, just for the space).  They talk about how they feel so creative in their quilting designated space...  I, however, do not live in a house.  I live in a 600 square foot apartment- which is a pretty good size for a Manhattan one bedroom.  I will dedicate this post to my sewing space.  It's not fancy (and sometimes not functional), but it's loved (usually)...

My cutting/ironing/storage area ("cutting room").  The TV is right in front of the ironing board (great view while pressing!) and the couch is right behind it (great to relax on when I'm too frustrated to keep sewing).


My sewing area.  Yes, this is my "dining room" table (but I usually eat my meals on my couch).  This is maybe ten feet from the "cutting room."  (And, yes, it's all in the same room- which means I can always see the TV!)  The major problem with this is that the table needs to be wider for the larger projects.  I have a leaf I could put in it, but then the table to either block the entrance into the apartment or into my bedroom, so I manage as it is.
Please note the Wall-E lunchbox of thread.  I love that thing.


My fabric storage.  This is on a little medal shelving unit I had lying around and it fit nicely under my cat's window bed (which he seems to not like nearly as much now that 1. I'm over by the window so much, 2. I have taken up the radiator with storage, and 3. I put tons of fabric under it.  I told him to get over it.  He's working on it.)  Please note the nice vintage Disney tin.  That is where I keep my in projects in process.  Thanks Ebay!


My scrap section (just on the other side of the radiator).  I don't have enough to put them into colors or anything.  The Pierre Hardy shoebox is filled with larger scraps.  The DVF shoebox is filled with small scraps.  The J. Crew shoebox is filled with scraps that I need to organize into the other shoeboxes (which are quickly filling up).  Please note the CD case top (I'm classy) that I use to toss my scraps in while I'm working.

It may be tiny and have completely taken over my living room, but I do get good light (well, during the day) and I have a great view of my beautiful high def flat screen TV.  I love my apartment.  I just wish it was one room bigger.

0 comments:

Post a Comment